It took us all summer to get everything situated, but it all worked out and I couldn't be happier with how things turned out. I am also happy because this forced us to do lots of sorting and much needed cleaning out.
Most of the furniture came from Aiden's room, and all we needed to buy was a dresser for the baby, which we are using as a changing table as well, and a new shelf. Both from Ikea, obviously.
I mentioned before that I was going to do a blue/green/orange color palette and I think it turned out well. Blue and green feels very "baby" to me, but adding the orange makes it feel more fun.
It's all the little details in the room that I really love and put a lot of time into.
I did a couple of sewing projects;
The curtains for the front small windows
I actually bought a curtain panel from Target's Dwell Studio line and cut it up to make these curtains. I also put additional fabric on the back to make them black out curtains. They looked cuter without the fabric on the back because the light would shine through them, but sleeping children outweighs cuteness in this case.
I had really wanted to find an orange comforter for Aiden's bed, but wasn't able to find one that I liked anywhere. I had found a set of sheets at Home Goods that were the perfect color, so I decided I would make my own. Aiden's bed is kind of funny too because you need something that is thinner to tuck underneath. All I did was take the top sheet and sew it to this blanket I got from Ikea. The blanket was a little bit longer, so I folded over the top which gave it a more finished look.
Pillow covers are the easiest thing to sew. I wanted to make an "A" pillow for Aiden's bed, and then there are a few under his bed, which is a little reading/playing area.
I also made this little pillow for the white chair. Adding little things like the "A" pillow, and the elephant are super easy, it's just time-consuming. But, I'm glad I took the time to make personal touches.
The Wild Things pictures were in Aiden's old room, as were the ABC print and number print that are now hanging above the changing area and are both from Etsy.
The one Etsy purchase I did make was the alphabet garland that I hung above the crib.
It was Rob's idea to paint the two sleeping "nooks" a darker color. It's such a large room that it really helps break it up a little bit, and I love how it turned out.
The shag rug had been in Aiden's room, and I got the 2 green circle rugs from Ikea. Aiden calls them lily pads.
Like I said before, I really couldn't be happier with how the room turned out. Aiden had no problem adjusting to his new room and is looking forward to his brother joining him. I'm looking forward to lots of time spent up there playing, it's so much larger than Aiden's old room that he can really have a play area here, which is nice.